Breast augmentation will give you larger breasts by using silicone or saline implants, or by using natural fat transfer for a more subtle increase in size. The procedure mainly involves creating a surgical pocket, either below the breast glands, or beneath the chest muscles, placing the implants, and closing the incision.
Am I a candidate for breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation is one of the most commonly performed cosmetic surgeries in the USA. Candidates for Dr. Brenner's breast augmentation in Beverly Hills fall into the following categories:
- In good general health
- Feel that breasts are too small
- Breasts are uneven in size
- One breast is odd in shape, (tuberous breasts)
- Breasts appear deflated
- Breasts left saggy after pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Breasts lost volume due to a dramatic loss of weight
Before & After Gallery
The best way to determine whether a surgeon is capable of giving you the results you desire is to view his past work and results.
View the Before & After Gallery »
What is the cost of breast augmentation in Beverly Hills?
Beverly Hills could be considered a haven for cosmetic surgery, and the city where the finest plastic surgeons practice the art of breast augmentation. The cost is affected by the type of implants you choose, with saline slightly less in price than silicone. The average cost of a breast augmentation procedure in Beverly Hills is between $6,000 and $10,000. While the price and your budget are always important, it is advised that you “shop” for the most qualified, talented plastic surgeon so that the procedure is performed correctly the first time. This will help ensure you achieve the look envisioned, and are not facing a revision surgery from a poorly performed breast augmentation procedure down the road.
What are my options with breast implants?
There are more shapes and sizes than ever before, but the two basic options are saline and silicone.
- Silicone implants: Silicone implants come in a wide array of sizes, widths, and levels of projection. These implants are a silicone shell filled with a silicone gel that closely mimics the bounce, weight, look, and feel of natural breast tissue.
- Saline implants: These implants are a silicone shell filled with saline. While they are slightly heavier than silicone, they have the advantage of requiring a shorter incision, as they are filled after being placed.
- Gummy bear or “form stable” implants: These implants are teardrop shaped to more closely match the shape of natural breasts. The gel within is thicker and firmer, and retains its shape even if the implant ruptures, which is rare.
While women think of breast size as a cup size, implants are measured in cc’s, or “cubic centimeters.” The base width of your natural breasts and the width of your ribcage all play into which implant size will look the most attractive on your frame. You have a concept of how much larger you want your breasts, and choosing the right implants is a critical point in a successful breast augmentation.
Breast implants are available in a great number of widths, sizes, and levels of projection. Choosing the right size is one of the most critical points for obtaining naturally shaped breasts after an augmentation, and is crucial if you're looking for the best breast augmentation Beverly Hills and Los Angeles have to offer. Implant placement also affects how the breasts will appear, slightly larger when placed beneath the natural breast tissue than when placed below the chest muscle. Teardrop-shaped implants, or “form stable” were developed to more closely match natural breast shape.
Breast implants can be placed in a surgically created “pocket” in several different ways, depending upon the type of implants and the quantity of existing breast glandular and fatty tissues.
- Subglandular: The implants are placed below the natural breast tissue. This is an appropriate placement for women who have adequate natural breast tissue.
- Submuscular: The implants are placed below the chest muscle, which has proven to be effective in holding them in place, as well as looking more natural for women with limited natural breast tissue.
What is a breast implant profile?
There are three different types of breast implant profiles.
- Low profile implants: These are flatter in appearance, with less height. For women who have a wider upper ribcage, low profile implants may be the best choice.
- Moderate profile implants: A moderate profile is often the choice that will leave you with the most natural-looking results. These implants can create a very natural look for women with a smaller or narrower upper chest region.
- High profile implants: These implants are narrower at the base to achieve the most projection. High profile implants create a fuller, more rounded look, which can appear less natural in some cases. High profile implants are often the superior choice for petite women who have a narrower upper chest area.
How the different profiles will appear is also affected by the implant placement, appearing larger when placed below the glands (subglandular), and slightly smaller when placed below the chest muscle (submuscular).
Implant incision types
Implants are placed through four different types of incisions:
- Periareolar: The incisions are made around the areola, the darker skin surrounding the nipple.
- Transaxillary: The implants are placed through an incision in the armpit, appropriate for saline implants, which are filled after placement.
- Inframammary: The implants are placed through an incision in the natural breast fold.
- Periumbilical: The implant is placed through a channel created through the belly button.
To ensure the implants will remain in place, the creation of the surgical pocket is of great importance. In many cases, the best result can be achieved with an inframammary incision.
Breast augmentation scars
As incisions are made, scars are inevitable. However, after healing, they are usually difficult to see. If the implants are placed through an incision in the armpit, the scars are usually virtually invisible. When placed around the areola, once healed, the incision lines blend with the tissue. These two placements are generally only appropriate for saline implants. Silicone implants, placed through the natural breast fold, will leave scars that are hidden by the breasts.
Breast augmentation recovery timeline
You will become aware in our recovery area, where you are being monitored. Once you are fully alert, you will be released to return home under the care of another person.
The day of your surgery will start early. Arrive to our surgical center in loose clothing, with a front-opening top. You will be prepared for surgery and anesthesia will be administered. You will not experience any pain, and when you awaken, your new breasts will be in place.
At the one-week mark following your breast augmentation in Beverly Hills, the swelling and bruising will have diminished, but not fully. You will be wearing a surgical bra and will be required to sleep on your back.
At two weeks, your breasts are taking shape, and beginning to look as you imagined. The implants take a little time to settle into place, but they should be starting to look as you imagined, and you should feel well enough to return to work.
At one month, your breasts should be looking great. You will still need to avoid strenuous exercise, as it is important that the incisions heal fully before putting any stress on them.
At three months, you should be having fun with your new figure, have purchased new bras and are able to wear a low-cut swimsuit or other tops with confidence.
At the six-month mark, you may not even remember exactly what your former breasts looked like – your new bust is part of you.
At one year, your breasts are completely healed, the scars have faded, and you will be enjoying your new figure every day!
Breast augmentation post-op instructions
- Fill your prescriptions prior to the day of surgery.
- Take all prescriptions exactly as directed.
- You will need to sleep on your back, on extra pillows or a wedge in the early stages of healing.
- Wear the surgical bra or a sports bra as directed by your surgeon – no underwire bras until six to eight weeks, due to the pressure on the incision line.
- Perform the massages as directed by your surgeon.
- Get plenty of rest, eat healthy, and do not drink alcohol during recovery.
- Take plenty of gentle walks to aid in circulation.
- No lifting or stretching until your incisions have healed.
- You can return to work in one week to ten days.
Risks and complications
Undergoing any surgery carries some risk. Ensure your surgery is performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon in an accredited surgery center to avoid added risk and to achieve the best breast augmentation Beverly Hills can offer you. The common risks include anesthesia reactions, slow surgical wound healing, excessive bleeding, hematoma, or blood clots.
Why choose Dr. Brenner?
When planning to undergo a breast augmentation, you want beautiful results. The outcome of a breast augmentation will be based upon the skills and meticulous techniques of your surgeon. Dr. Brenner is an acclaimed, board-certified plastic surgeon who is often featured as an expert in the media, including Access Hollywood, Extra, Entertainment Tonight and others.
Dr. Brenner excelled through his educational career, achieving a Bachelor of Science degree at the University of Wisconsin, then on to Loyola University in Chicago for his medical degree. He completed a five-year general surgery residency at Rush University and Cook County hospitals in Chicago, followed by a three-year residency in plastic and reconstructive surgery at the University of California. His education and experience are truly exceptional. He is board-certified as a general surgeon as well as certified in the specialty of plastic and reconstructive surgery.
Other breast options
Dr. Brenner performs a range of breast surgeries, including
Breast augmentation FAQ
Does insurance cover breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation is considered an elective surgery, and not covered by insurance. However, we offer options for financing to make it more affordable.
Is there a warranty on my implants?
Breast implants have a 10-year warranty which covers you for implant rupture, plus provides finance for a surgery to replace the implants.
When can I return to work?
Most people can return within one week to ten days.
When can I wear a bathing suit after my augmentation?
You should feel ready to hit the beach in about six weeks.
What is breast implant illness? Should I be worried?
It has been discovered that some women suffer certain symptoms after getting implants, generally called breast implant illness. The majority of women suffer no side effects. One note – textured implants should not be used (and have recently been recalled by the FDA), as there is an increased risk of developing a rare cancer called ALCL.
Can I drive home after surgery?
No – and you will be unable to drive until you can freely move your arms without putting stress on your incisions, and you are no longer on pain medication, which is in about 10 days to two weeks.
Additional breast augmentation information