Breast Implant Ruptures: What to Know
Unfortunately, ruptures and leaks are an inherent risk with breast implants, especially after the implants are many years old. When this happens, the issue needs to be addressed to resolve any discomfort and potential unsightly appearances.
Signs of ruptured implants
Symptoms of breast implant ruptures can include:
- Change in shape of breast/breast implant
- Hard knots or lumps around the implant or in the armpit
- Tingling, swelling, burning, numbness or hardening of the breast
- Shrinking or loss of size of the breast or implant
- Deflation of implant over time (due to leaking)
In some cases, silicone breast implants can rupture without any sort of symptoms. This is called “silent rupture”. Advanced imaging with an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) is usually needed to confirm these silent ruptures. The longer you have a breast implant, the more likely a rupture can occur. It is recommended that if you have silicone implants, you should have an MRI done every two years to screen for possible silent rupture.
Causes of RupturedBreast Implants
Breast implant ruptures can be caused from:
- Wearing out of implants (years after implantation)
- Damage to the implant during implantation or a separate surgery
- Folding or wrinkling of the implant shell
- Large force or trauma to the chest
- Extreme pressure to the breast, such as during a mammography
Leaking Breast Implants
When an implant is ruptured, the contents begin to leak into the surrounding area. For saline implants, this solution is absorbed harmlessly into the body. For silicone implants, this can cause different reactions in people. Some people have little or no reaction to leaking breast implants; others may experience hard pockets, inflammation or an overall feeling of sickness or tiredness. No serious health issues have been found as a result of leaking breast implants.
Fixing Ruptured Breast Implants
Now for the good news: ruptured implants can be fixed. Generally the treatment method is to remove the ruptured implant or implants with a basic breast implant removal procedure. Any silicone that may have leaked into surrounding areas can be extracted as well.
In some cases, the patient may choose to have new breast implants inserted. Dr. Brenner can help you to achieve the natural and beautiful results you had originally hoped for.
The procedure for breast implant removal alone is usually a fast procedure, lasting about 30 minutes. Dr. Brenner can usually use the same incision area from the original implant to remove the implant.
How Dr. Brenner Can Help
Dr. Brenner has performed countless ruptured breast implant treatments by performing breast implant removals, and in some cases, inserting new breast implants. He helps patients obtain the natural and beautiful look they desire.
To find out more about how Dr. Brenner can help you with your ruptured breast implant or breast revision surgery, call today to schedule your consultation.
The Arrival of THE IDEAL IMPLANT ®
After years of research and testing, as well as consulting many women and plastic surgeons, we have accomplished a design of a saline-filled breast implant, now known as the IDEAL IMPLANT®.
- Recently approved by the FDA
- Lowered edges, allowing it to contour better to the best wall
- Designed to combine the best of both saline and silicone implants
- The natural result of silicone with the safety of saline
When breast implants or other foreign objects are placed into the body, the body encapsulates it in a fibrous tissue lining.
Breast implant removal restores breasts to their natural state or replaces implants with a larger or smaller size.