Most people think of rhinoplasty as only a cosmetic procedure but there is actually much more to it. Rhinoplasty (nasal surgery) can be very complex and can also encompass remedying nasal obstructions of the airway.
Here are some of the most common reasons that people have a rhinoplasty procedure for cosmetic purposes:
- A bridge that is too wide
- A large bump across the bridge
- A tip that is too wide, too bulbous or indistinct
- Nostril flaring
- A nose that can appear out of proportion to the face
In addition to the cosmetic reasons, there are many common airway problems that can cause an obstruction and these must be considered at the time of cosmetic rhinoplasty. These can include:
- Deviated septum
- Turbinate enlargement (turbinate hypertrophy)
- Internal airway collapse (Internal valve collapse)
- External airway collapse (External valve collapse)
- Nasal septal perforation
- Correction of nasal bone fracture or septal fracture
There are some common symptoms of nasal airway obstruction and it is good to know these so that you can identify and handle any issue:
- Inability to pass nasal air
- Mouth breathing (especially while sleeping)
- Need to use long term nasal spray (Afrin, etc.)
- Change in your nasal appearance after previous surgery (i.e. collapse)
When someone receives a nose job and their rhinoplasty result looks great that is fantastic. However, it would be very remiss of the doctor if any issues relating to nasal airway obstruction were not also addressed at the time of the rhinoplasty procedure.
Dr. Brenner commonly sees patients for revision rhinoplasty procedures and many of these individuals voice complaints relating to their airway. When he performs secondary rhinoplasty procedures his primary focus, aside from creating the exact look that the patient is expecting, is often addressing and correcting the various issues that impair nasal breathing.
From his experience and expertise, he can utilize multiple advanced techniques to help correct these delicate nasal cases.
Learn more about Dr. Brenner’s various rhinoplasty procedures
Primary rhinoplasty, or simply "rhinoplasty", is nose surgery to address aesthetic issues of the nose.
Ethnic rhinoplasty is for ethnic patients who desire nose surgery to fix aesthetic issues, while still maintaining their cultural look.